FAQ & Policies for Camp Katan
Information about Santa Clara County policies is coming soon.
All campers ages 2 and older are expected to wear face coverings at all times while attending camp, unless they are napping, eating, or drinking, in which case they should still keep their face coverings with them to put back on when they are done. Face coverings are not required for anyone if it is medically inadvisable for a person to wear one.
All classrooms will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized each evening. Frequently touched surfaces such as tables, door handles, and bathroom fixtures will be wiped with disinfectant at regular intervals. Surfaces and spaces that are shared by multiple groups will be sanitized between uses.
In the event of a direct COVID-19 exposure at Camp Shalom, the following measures will be taken:
- Details regarding the COVID positive person’s location in the building will be reported to the JCC Director of Operations and the JCC Human Resources Director in order to facilitate proper communication, and a report will then be made to the Levy Family Campus Facility Director to begin disinfecting of spaces and equipment.
- Families of campers who may have been exposed to the virus due to being in the same cabin with the person who tested positive for the virus will be informed of the exposure. No personal details regarding the infected person’s identity will be shared.
- Any space occupied by the COVID positive individual and any equipment that they used will be placed off-limits for 24 hours in order to properly clean and disinfect.
- In the event that your camper’s group is temporarily closed due to confirmed exposure to COVID-19, you will receive a prorated refund for any time period beyond the first 24 hours that the camp group is suspended.
What to bring
Before camp starts, each family will receive a Family Handbook where you’ll find updated information and a packing list. The basics include:
- Water bottle
- Extra set of clothing, including shoes & facemask
- Two week supply of diapers & wipes (if not potty trained)
- Closed-toe shoes
- Comfortable clothing that can get dirty
- On swim days:
- Bathing suit
- Shoes to wear to and from the pool
- Goggles (optional)
PLEASE LABEL EVERYTHING WITH YOUR CHILD’S NAME.
All food provided by Camp Katan (snack, cooking time, etc.) will be kosher-style, vegetarian, and nut-free. All food that campers bring from home must be vegetarian as well (fish is okay, with the exception of shellfish).
Please do not send your camper with meat, shellfish, peanuts, or tree nuts in their lunches. We are an allergy-aware camp. For a list of yummy lunch ideas see the Camp Shalom Family Handbook.
- Staggered drop off will begin at 8:30am
- Please park your vehicle and walk to the outside door of your child’s classroom (refer to provided map) and line up on the physically-distanced marked spaces
- A teacher will check your child’s temperature and provide you with a daily health check to fill out & sign.
Pick Up: 12:00pm for half-day classes; 4:00pm for full-day classes
Early pick up/ Late drop offs:
- If you arrive after your drop off window, or need to pick your child up early, please call the preschool camp office at 408.357.7417. We will meet you by the front doors, check your child in, and escort them to their cabin group.
- If you need to pick your child up early, we request that you give your child’s teachers advance notice so they can prepare your child before their pickup time.
- Call the preschool camp office at 408.357.7417 when you arrive, and we will escort your child to the front lobby to meet you.
Teachers will send home a daily email with an overview of the group’s day.
You can always contact our preschool camp office, 408.357.7417 or firstname.lastname@example.org, to speak with our knowledgeable staff. You are also welcome to reach out to your child’s teachers directly via email for classroom-specific questions.
- Children 2 and under participate in water play outdoors on our playgrounds.
- Campers in 3-year-old groups will use the toddler pool once per week for a fun & safe recreational swim time, staffed by certified lifeguards.
- Campers in both our 4 and 5 year old groups enjoy one recreational swim time per week and one swim lesson per week, staffed by our American Red-Cross certified swim instructors.
- On your child’s water day(s), please send them to camp with a towel, wearing their swimwear, sunscreen, & water diaper (if under 4 years old), and with a change of clothes for afterwards.