FAQ & Policies for Grades 1-10
Information about Santa Clara County policies is coming soon.
Face Mask Policy
All campers ages 2 and older are expected to wear face coverings at all times while attending camp, unless they are napping, eating, or drinking, in which case they should still keep their face coverings with them to put back on when they are done. Face coverings are not required for anyone if it is medically inadvisable for a person to wear one.
All classrooms will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized each evening. Frequently touched surfaces such as tables, door handles, and bathroom fixtures will be wiped with disinfectant at regular intervals. Surfaces and spaces that are shared by multiple groups will be sanitized between uses.
In the event of a direct COVID-19 exposure at Camp Shalom, the following measures will be taken:
- Details regarding the COVID-positive person’s location in the building will be reported to the JCC Director of Operations and the JCC Human Resources Director in order to facilitate proper communication, and a report will then be made to the Levy Family Campus Facility Director to begin disinfecting of spaces and equipment.
- Families of campers who may have been exposed to the virus due to being in the same cabin/classroom with the person who tested positive for the virus will be informed of the exposure. No personal details regarding the infected person’s identity will be shared.
- Any space occupied by the COVID-positive individual and any equipment that they used will be placed off-limits for 24 hours in order to properly clean and disinfect.
- In the event that your camper’s group is temporarily closed due to confirmed exposure to COVID-19, you will receive a prorated refund for any time period beyond the first 24 hours that the camp group is suspended.
Before camp starts, each family will receive a Family Handbook where you’ll find updated information and a “packing list”. The basics include:
- Water bottle(s)
- Sunscreen (spray is preferable!)
- Closed toe shoes
- Comfortable clothing that can get dirty
- On swim days:
- Bathing suit
- Shoes to wear to and from the pool
- Goggles (optional)
PLEASE LABEL EVERYTHING WITH YOUR CAMPER’S NAME.
Subject to availability, a registration transfer from one Camp Shalom program to another may be made at no additional charge up to two weeks prior to the original camp start date through a written request (email, letter, or fax) to the Camp Director. Transfer requests submitted within two weeks of the original camp start date may be possible and will be subject to a $25 administrative fee.
- All food provided by Camp Shalom (snack, cooking time, etc.) will be kosher-style, vegetarian, and nut-free. All food that campers bring from home must be vegetarian as well (fish is okay, with the exception of shellfish).
- Please do not send your camper with meat, shellfish, peanuts, or tree nuts in their lunches. We are an allergy-aware camp. For a list of yummy lunch ideas see the Camp Shalom Family Handbook.
- Campers in traditional camp will participate in cooking several times per week. If your child has allergies or dietary restrictions, please let us know ahead of time so we can coordinate alternate ingredients or activities.
- Hot Lunch Orders: Information about hot lunch will be coming soon.
Times for Grades 1-10
- Drop Off: Staggered drop-off times will begin at 8:40am. Camp begins at 9:15am.
- Pick Up:4:00pm
Staggered Drop- Off
You will be assigned a staggered drop-off time based on your camper’s group. We will assign and communicate these times by email in the week prior to your first day of camp.
NEW in 2021: Campers in 1st-10th grade will check in using the Procare app. You will receive instructions prior to the start of your camp session. Please check back here for more information.
Car Drop-Off Only (no walk-ups)
- All drop-off and pick-up for 1st-10th grade will be via carpool line only. Please do not park or exit your vehicle.
- When you arrive, please have your child wait in the car with you until a Camp Shalom staff member approaches. Please make sure you and your camper are wearing masks.
- You will be asked a few short screening questions and we will take your child’s temperature.
- When picking up your child please wait in your vehicle and our staff will walk your camper(s) to your car.
You will be sent a pickup placard to which you can add your camper’s name. Please display the placard with your camper’s name on your vehicle’s dashboard. This will help us get your camper ready!
For everyone’s safety, please refrain from cell phone use in the carpool lane.
Early pickup/ Late drop-offs
- If you arrive after your drop-off window, please wait until 9:30am and then call the camp office after 9:30am. We will meet you by the front doors, check your child in, and escort them to their cabin group.
- Early pickups cannot be accommodated except in cases of emergency.
What happens if I am late to pick up?
We know emergencies and traffic happen! If you are late to pick up, your camper will be checked into Extended Care at an hourly rate of $15/hour. You’ll be charged at the end of the week in one hour increments.
Camper Code of Conduct & Behavior Policy
Please click here to see the Camper Code of Conduct. Please review this with your campers before their first day of camp.
Who will be supervising my child?
Our staff are put through an intensive, one-week, professional training before they begin working at camp. In addition, all staff are CPR and First Aid Certified and have been fingerprinted and have passed a background check/ LiveScan. Our staff ratios are in accordance with American Camp Association guidelines.
Camp Hours for Grades 1-8
- Drop Off: Staggered drop off will begin at 8:40am.
- Pick Up: 4:00pm
- Camp Office: The camp office is open 9:00am-4:00pm, Monday through Friday.
An important part of the camp experience is developing new relationships and trying new things. We encourage you to allow your camper to be placed at random instead of in a requested group. However, if you still prefer campers to be in the same group, you may provide these requests during registration, in the Additional Notes area. We will do our best to accommodate your request; however we cannot guarantee your camper’s placement in the same group as another camper.
Campers in Sababa (grades 6-8) will travel to field trips 3 days per week. These trips will be a combination of classic trips and service trips. Field trips will take place during normal Camp hours. Campers will be transported to and from each trip via school bus.
- Campers will be supervised by their cabin counselors in small groups at all times during field trips
- Campers must wear their Camp Shalom shirt on field trip days.
- All campers in eligible groups will attend field trips. We are not able to provide supervision on-site at camp for campers who do not want to attend scheduled field trips.
Daily Activities/sample schedule
You can always contact our camp office, 408.357.7416 or email@example.com, to speak with our knowledgeable camp staff. For preschool and rising kindergarten campers you may contact the preschool camp office directly at 408.357.7417 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will send out a weekly newsletter via email that summarizes the highlights of the week. Each week, individual cabins will also send out a video to recap all the fun!
Communication though App
Be on the lookout for messages and updates through the Procare app! You will receive instructions prior to the start of your camp session. Please check back here for more information.
What to Expect
Most campers will have the chance to swim in the APJCC’s heated outdoor pool. Camp groups swim one at a time to ensure a maximum staff-to-swimmer ratio and maximum fun!
- Traditional camp groups and Dagesh: Recreational swim twice per week.
- Sports & Swimming Specialty Camp: Recreational swim twice per week and swim lessons twice per week.
- Musical Theater Specialty Camp: Recreational swim once per week.
- Circus & STEAM camps will not swim during the camp day so they can focus on their specialties.
Your camper’s swim days will be determined ahead of time and we will communicate that to you.
What to Bring
- Pool shoes (preferably slip-on shoes or sandals)
- Goggles (optional)
Please make sure all belongings are labeled with your child’s name.
Campers are permitted to bring flotation devices in a lifejacket or Puddlejumper style. Water wings are not permitted. Please refrain from bringing large floaties.
In pool supervision
The pool is staffed and supervised by the JCC Aquatics Director, certified lifeguards, and swim instructors. Campers are supervised in the pool by Camp Shalom staff and JCC aquatics staff at all times in adherence with ACA ratio regulations.
Camp Shalom is proud to have a licensed Camp Medic on staff.
We are an allergy aware camp. Every effort will be made to reduce exposure to common allergens.
If your child has any allergies or medical needs, please indicate this when completing your camp forms, on the Health Information form. In addition, you can contact our Camp Medic who can work directly with you with regard to your child’s specific needs. A doctor’s note may be required in order to dispense medication.
You can email our camp medic at email@example.com.
Please make sure to complete your Health Information form no later than May 21, 2021. Your child may not start camp until their health form is completed.
- Campers will be checked into Extended Care directly after the end of the regular camp day.
- Pick up will begin at 5:45pm. Pickup between 4:00-5:45pm is not available except in case of emergency.
- When picking up your child please wait in your vehicle, and our staff will walk your camper(s) to your car.
Advance registration is required for Extended Care. In order to maintain safe and legal ratios, we are unable to accommodate drop-ins.
What to Expect
Campers will have an opportunity to hang out with friends, play games and do projects during this time. The Extended Care program is more loosely structured than the rest of the camp day.
Cancellation of entire registration prior to May 21, 2021 will result in a full refund (less the non-refundable deposit). After May 21, your deposits will be converted to a credit in your account. You can use this credit for any future Camp Shalom or Addison-Penzak JCC programs.
Requesting a refund
- All refund requests must be submitted in writing to the camp director by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org prior to May 21, 2021.
- Cancellation of entire registration prior to May 21, 2021 will result in a full refund, less the non-refundable deposit.
- After May 21, your deposits will be converted to a credit in your account. You can use this credit for any future Camp Shalom or APJCC programs.
What happens if camp is cancelled?
If Camp Shalom cancels a camp session for any reason, you will receive a credit or a full refund, including your deposit.
In the event that your camper’s group is temporarily closed due to confirmed exposure to COVID-19, you will receive a prorated refund for any time period beyond the first 24 hours that the camp group is suspended. If the group reconvenes and you choose not to attend, you will receive a prorated refund based on the time period beyond the first 24 hours that the camp group is suspended.
What happens if my camper is asked to leave camp?
In its sole and absolute discretion, Camp Shalom may withdraw a camp participant from camp for any reason. If Camp Shalom withdraws a camp participant from camp, a prorated refund of camp registration fees will be granted for the period after the withdrawal. No credits or refunds will be issued if your child is asked to leave Camp Shalom for breaking the Camper Code of Conduct.
No refunds are given for vacations, sick days*, or other absences from camp. Unused camp days cannot be refunded or substituted with additional camp days.
* Sick days due to COVID-19 illness or exposure will receive a refund, as described above.
How do I apply for a Campership?
Camp Shalom provides a limited number of camperships (need-based scholarships) to campers who qualify.
To apply, complete a paper camp application and email the completed application to email@example.com. We will email you with a link to the online campership application. Applications are due by April 23rd and decisions will be emailed not later than May 17th.
More weeks = more discounts!
Weeks of camp are counted per family per order; additional weeks added after the initial order may not qualify. The discount will be applied at the time of your final payment and will not be reflected in your initial total. Please note, Camp Katan and Yoetz are not eligible for the Multi-Session Discount.
|Number of Weeks||Discount Off Total|
Please note, in order to receive member pricing on camp, your child must be a JCC member at the time of signup and during the time they are attending camp. (If your family has a child enrolled at the APJCC Preschool during spring or fall 2021, all children in your family will receive member pricing for Camp Shalom, even if they are not JCC members.)